2012, the Utility Service Agency moved into the Gulley-Mackie house at 340
North Main Street, across the street from our office of 30 years. The new
location provides more interior room and more parking space and is
better-suited to our current needs.
Gulley-Mackie house is historically significant for three reasons.
First, it is one of three Italianate style houses in the Wake Forest
Historic District. Second, the house was home to faculty of Wake
Forest College, which was the foundation of the Town of Wake Forest and
the surrounding community. Third, two notable Wake Forest professors
used the home. N. Y. Gulley, the founder and Inaugural Dean of the
Wake Forest University Law School, resided in the house for the 44 years
that he taught. Notably, he allowed women to attend his classes in
1915, and two of his female students passed the state bar exam in 1927.
By 1931, approximately half of the state’s attorneys had been taught by
Dr. Gulley. George C. Mackie was professor of Physiology and
Pharmacology at Wake Forest College until the school moved to Winston
Salem. He remained in the town and was the doctor for the Southeastern
Baptist Seminary from its inauguration until he died in 1969. Dr.
Mackie was recognized as the town doctor and a significant leader in the
Wake Forest community. He converted the home in 1946-47 with the
help of Raleigh's famous architect W. Henley Deitrick to its state before
The house is an Italianate 2-story frame house with Queen Anne lines.
Although the original exterior style and structure remain, the house
underwent modifications and expansions over at least four different
periods. A rear expansion prior to 1946 added both upstairs and downstairs
rooms while staying true to the house style. The house was turned
into doctor's offices below with four second-floor apartments in a major
1946-47 renovation. Presumably around 1990, a separate
kitchen/outbuilding was attached to the Northeast corner.
On the outside, wood siding had been covered up with aluminum.
Decorative cornices had been covered up and decorative pediments removed
to accommodate a lower maintenance exterior. Large steel staircases
were mounted to the front and back when the building was functionally
divided in 1946, and chimneys and fireplaces were removed. The
original slate roof remained intact, although by 2011, it was badly in
need of repair. The Asbestos shingles that had been used in the
additions were failing, and original shutters had been replaced with
aluminum ones. Original glass window panes remained.
inside, the house was functionally divided into two separate spaces with
the interior stairs removed. Downstairs, the eight rooms had been
partitioned into twenty-three different rooms to serve the function of a
doctor's office. Original decorative wood trim and doors had been
removed for a simpler style. Heart pine floors were covered with
wall to wall carpeting and laminate flooring. Drop ceilings covered
up plumbing, electric, and central air-conditioning components.
Upstairs, four separate efficiency apartments were connected with a common
hallway. Each unit had its own closets, bathroom, gas heater, window
unit air-conditioner, and modular kitchenette. Original heart pine
floors had been covered up with oak flooring, and most of the original
wood trim and doors had been replaced.
2011 the Gulley-Mackie house was donated to the Wake Forest College
Birthplace Society. The organization chose to sell the property. It was
purchased by Cooke’s Restoration, LLC, who, teamed with Sult Architecture
and Gould Development & Historic Restorations, worked to restore the
beauty while transforming it into a headquarters for a family business. On
the exterior, the team reproduced and restored the fine sawn work
balusters on the front and side porches and removed the aluminum siding.
All original elements, based on physical evidence and documentation, were
restored to their original condition. On the interior, the team restored
the original room configurations on both floors, leaving some walls open
to adapt the space for its planned use, restored and reused original
flooring where possible and reopened the second floor to the first with
the installation of period-appropriate stair case elements in the main
hall. The work was labor-intensive but very rewarding.
Gulley-Mackie house has significant historical value for the town
and Wake Forest College. In addition, it provides a superior working
environment for our company.